Tis the season of eating and drinking, and drinking and eating, and eating and drinking…The new year arrives and you’re wondering why your pants are too tight! But it doesn’t have to be that way and that’s where I come in with some tricks and tips. It’s not one indulgent day that will ruin your waistline, it’s the consecutive days and weeks of holiday parties, gatherings and festivities that will ruin this last year of work.
Here are a few of my tips and tricks:
- Be mindful of how much you drink, those fun cocktail concoctions add up in calories very quickly. Instead, sip on one light drink and be sure to drink a lot of water. You can also make nonalcoholic drinks in a champagne flute with flavored bubbly water with some lime to drink something fun.
- Eat before you go. If you’re going to a cocktail party where there will be snacks, eat something healthy at home so you’re not tempted to eat all the heavy foods that are offered.
- Be sure to drink a lot of water too.
- Stay away from grazing the hors d’oeuvres table! We tend to chat and eat standing around the food. Instead, take a small plate with a few items and sit down. Did I mention drinking water?
- Bring your favorite healthy dish to a holiday dinner. Making something at home ensures you’ll have something healthy to eat at the gathering. Be sure to drink water!
- The best thing is not to completely restrict yourself. Having a plan and eating smaller portions of your favorite foods will help keep the stress away. Enjoy that holiday meal you look forward to, one day won’t make or break your healthy diet.
- Take your time eating. Sometimes we eat so fast that we forget to enjoy it. Feeling “stuffed” is never a good feeling.
- Love hot chocolate with whip cream? Try a peppermint tea latte instead. Mix in a few mini chocolate chips and you have a sweet treat that’ll satisfy and keep you warm.
- If you’re tempted to get a second helping, brush your teeth! Usually, you won’t want to eat afterward. Oh, and drink water.
Needless to say, it’s the holidays, the more we stress, the more we eat and drink. Enjoy yourself, keep up your workouts and be mindful of what you put in your mouth. And don’t forget to drink more water!